Contact

Participants should remember that many young readers browse these forums so postings must be appropriate for all age groups in language and subject matter. The guestbook is monitored and every message will be reviewed prior to posting so it may be several days before your message appears online. Additionally, to fully protect readers from potential misuse, no email addresses are allowed in the body of any posting.

Send Adeline a message

*Certain emails contacting Adeline may be posted on the website, if you dont want it posted you must so say so in your message.

Letters and Pictures

1. Melissa D says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

After reading your book you honestly inspired me so much! You had such a rough childhood, but at the same time you’ve accomplished many things that some people may never accomplish in a lifetime. You definitely encouraged me to work hard and follow my dreams. I would like to be just as successful as you! If you can do it, anyone can do it! Thanks for being a great role model!

From

Melissa D.

2. Austin Maag says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

I have learned many valuable things from your book. I have learned that you have to make the best of your life and do not let anyone hold you back. For example, when Niang separated you from Aunt Baba and your family and sent you to boarding school you did not let that stop you. In addition, you have inspired many people with your book.

Sincerely, Austin Maag

3. Timmy says:

Dear, Mrs. Yen Mah

I have picked up on a few life lessons that you had in your book Chinese Cinderella. The main thing I learned from reading your book is when the going gets tough the tough gets going. I learned this from all the times you were given the bad end of the stick like when Niang was mean to you and treated you like you were waste of space you stuck up for yourself every time and new you would be punished for it. I also learned from how you were sent form your home and forced to leave your Aunt Baba and Yeye to attend boarding school. The way you kept your mind on your school work and your goals was amazing and I would not have been able to do that. I think your childhood is the reason for your success because when all else failed you kept your mind where it needed to be on your future.

Sincerely,

Timmy

4. Jack Gallina says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

I learned that it was a lot different back then then it is now. You’re not aloud to hang out with your friends, also if you do something bad you get whipped. I think that if I had to get good grades to impress my father I would run away. You have been through a lot and you still turned out ok. I have learned that you were not favored but you just kept moving on.

From,

Jack Gallina

5. Brooke Carangelo says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

From reading your book I learned to always try my best. Even though you weren’t the most noticed in the family you still tried your hardest to make your father happy. You were the top of your class and you skipped two grades in a three year period. You inspire many people in many ways so I thank you.

Sincerely,

Brooke Carangelo 🙂

6. chris says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah

Hi Mrs. Yen Mah I loved your book Chinese Cinderella it was a good book about Chinese culture. But through the book I kept thinking is this real, can parents be that mean. I feel very bad for you and now I hope you are much better. I learned that you should never judge a book by its cover. Everyone thought of you as a person who killed a mother and a wife. But no your mom died naturally and you didn’t kill her. You are a great person and don’t forget that.

From,

Chris

7. ciara says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

Your book Chinese Cinderella has taught me a lot. I learned that no matter hard your childhood is you can always turn your life around. It taught me to hold on to your dreams and never let them go. Never let anyone tell you that your dreams are not possible. I learned that everyone is equal and you should never let anyone tell you that they are more important than you. You showed me that you can always take something good out of a bad situation. Your life story was very moving and I enjoyed it.

From

Ciara

8. Kevin hansen says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

In the book Chinese Cinderella there were many lessons I learned from reading your book. Some lessons were that ‘’ You have to keep getting up when someone pushes you down’’, just like Niang and your Father did to you. Also, you must stand up for yourself, when someone mistreats you like some of the kids in boarding school. Your book about your life had many themes that can help me and anyone else.

Sincerely, Kevin Hansen

9. Grace says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

I have read your book Chinese Cinderella. The story of your life seems unreal the way you were treated. Your mother would have been very proud of you in your accomplishments. From what I know your aunt Baba was. Your father and stepmother should hate themselves for neglecting you and putting you in all of those boarding schools. Your brothers should feel bad about killing PLT and putting urine in your drink. You have taught me to stay strong and not letting people think of you bring you down. Thank you

Sincerely,

Grace Kraft 

10. paul cooper says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

I have learned that back then it wasn’t the same as we have it now. I would probably run away if I wasn’t able to go to my friends house. I think it’s crazy how you would have to get good grades to make your father happy. I learned to respect and not lie to my parents unless you get punished really bad or get whipped.

From, Paul Cooper

11. Tiffany says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

I have learned many things from reading your book, Chinese Cinderella. From all of the neglect and events that would have caused anyone else to give up, you didn’t. One other thing that I have learned from reading your book is even though life doesn’t seem good at times, it will get better. Thank you for writing such an inspiring book that teaches many lessons that are useful in life.

From,

Tiffany

12. Jaime Farrell says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

Hi! I learned so many important lessons from your book, Chinese Cinderella. For example, I learned that I should treat everybody equally no matter what! This is because it can make people feel bad. Like in your book, when Niang treated her birth-children a lot better than she treated you and your siblings. Also I learned not to take things for granted. This is because in your book you didn’t have that much clothes and had strict eating times. While at my house, I have so many clothes and can eat whenever I’m hungry. Another example, I learned is that I should always try hard at whatever I’m doing, no matter what the conditions! Lastly, I learned to believe in myself. Because when YeYe told you to, you entered the play contest not caring if you lost or won anymore. And at the end we found out you won! You are an amazing author and your story was amazing overall with all the lessons learned and meaningful stories told!

Sincerely,

Jaime Farrell 

13. Cameron Benitt says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

I have just finished reading Chinese Cinderella. Your book has taught me many life lessons. I have noticed most people don’t see what they have people are begging for and we take it for granted such as toys, foods and things we want. We should all use our belongings usefully and share with others. I have also learned to never complain about gifts and many things we don’t need. Your book has inspired me to make a future out of myself. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Cameron

14. Joshua says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

Hello, my name is Joshua. I learned many things from your book, Chinese Cinderella. One of the things I learned is that if you study hard and do peruse the things you like, you might end up successful doing something you like. Also I learned to always believe in yourself and follow what you think is right, no matter what people say. Finally I learned to take advantage of what you have to be successful in life, and you did just that.

From,

Joshua

15. Stefanie says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

I really liked your book about your childhood. It was one of those books that I constantly wanted to read. I am very sorry for your poor childhood. Even though what you went through, you were still successful and worked very hard. I’m glad that you got to study in England because you got what you wanted and also what you deserved. I kind of liked this book better that the original Cinderella. But anyways, keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

Stefanie

16. gina says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

Hello my name is Gina. In your book I learned that back in the 1940’s and 1950’s parents could get away with neglecting their children. Mrs. Yen Mah when you were older did you ever talk to your parents again, if so what did you say to them? If I where you I would have told them off when I got older. I’m sorry for what your family did to you, what they did was horrible. Thank you for reading this

From

Gina

17. Brianna Maher says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

Hey! I am so sorry to hear about your past! Look at where you are now though! You have taught me to appreciate my parents. Even though they yell at me, I know they love me. Did your relationship with your parents improve? Are you still friends with Mary and Rachel? You really inspired me. Thanks!

From,

Brianna Maher

18. Rhianna says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

Hi! I read you book Chinese Cinderella and it was really good. It was intriguing and almost addictive to read what you have gone through. I did not want to put the book down. It was depressing to see all the horrors your parents and siblings put you through as a young child. It was amazing to see that you have achieved what you always wanted and what everybody thought you couldn’t do.

Sincerely, Rhianna

19. Bobbi Korabik says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

Hi! Your book really touched me in ways that I cannot describe. Even though your life was not great, you wouldn’t give up and that’s what counts. You made the impossible, possible. Your bravery is inspiring to me and probably to many others who have read your amazing book. I have been faced with hard times myself- when my parents got divorced. I was really upset nut I got through it because of inspiring people like you! Thank you for sharing your story.

Sincerely,

Bobbi Korabik

20. Gianna Ardizzone says:

Dear Mrs. Yen Mah,

I learned from reading your book Chinese Cinderella that you had a rough life. I was very sad when you said your father didn’t even remember your first name and your date of birth. So he just gave you his birthday. Your book really changed the way I look at things now. I look at things differently . Thank you for sharing your story with me.

Sincerely,