Send your private message to Adeline using the form below.

545 replies
« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Kateryne Nelson-Guerrero says:

Dear Adeline,

My name is Kali, I am a 12 year old girl who is at a stage in her life where she is changing into a young woman. I would always talk about how difficult and confusing my life was, until I read your memoir Chinese Cinderella. It had a huge impact on me. When my English teacher, Ms. Patten, explained to my class that we were going to read Chinese Cinderella, I thought that it was going to be another Cinderella fairytale. But, after I read the first page, I realized I was severely mistaken. While reading your book I felt as if I had been sucked into the book. The drama, the courage, and all of the words were just coming at me. It surely affected my heart, I felt as if I was going to cry. Once I reached the end the book I felt inspired, inspired to never lose hope, no matter what obstacles I face. A few words to describe you at the end of your journey are, successful, alive, courageous, and free. Your memoir has touched many young hearts, mine, my school’s, and students all across the globe. Many children have burning questions they wish to ask you. This is mine: Do you still keep in touch with your siblings and other family members? Thank you for taking out some timebto read this heartfelt letter. God bless you and your family.

Kali

Trinity Academy for the Performing Arts

2. Nila Lares says:

Dear Adeline,

My name is Petronila lares but I prefer Nila lares Im 13 years old and Im from Guatemala. I’ve read your book Chinese Cinderella and it’s ver touching. I’m so thankful that you have shared your story With the world. Thank you so much for writing your book you have changed part of my life. I never thought I would find somebody like you and with the same story! I have been through half of your story and I thought nobody understood me, but you made me realize that i wasn’t the only one with a syory like that. It’s so interesting how our families are always letting us down. I just wNted to tell you tnat once i had a pet of my very own too and his name was Stuart. My mom left me with my grandma when i was only one years old than she separeted me from her wichbwas so hard for me. Our story is very similar and i would love to meet you. I will never forget about your book or your life story I will pass it dowm to kids in the future. You are our favorite author here at TAPA. While we were doing a dance of your life story, i was playing you and i know how you felt when you had to walk back home when they forgot to pick you up after school. I give thanks to my teacher Ms. Jennifer Patten for introducing me to you. From the day she showed us the book and told me about it, I knew this book was going to make me feel better about what I have been through in my life. I still have a long life to go through of God permits me. Your book made me think a lot. When i grow up, I am willing to write a book like yours. For me growingnup was not easy like fpr most kids. I would love to get your opinion of how I should start or name my book. I hope that I will meet you through Skype. I will be so grateful to meet and share some of our similar stories together. You are an inspiration and i will follow your steps while living life. Thank you agan, Adeline, for writing this book. I am really amazed to find someone like you. Your story is very tpuching and related to me. And that is the great thing about you. God bless you and your real mother and I hope there is always an angel to protect you. I really have to say this: I love you Adeline even though I have not met you. But i have a big feeling for you. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Nila Lares

Trinity Academy for the Performing Arts

3. Lee-Ellis Pina says:

Dear Adeline,

I am a student at Trinity Academy for the Performing Arts (TAPA). I am writing this letter to tell you that all 34 students at my middle school have read your book, Chinese Cinderella, and all have loved it. We all know what your childhood was like, and what you went through. I just want to say that you grew up with a lot of courage and, and I am amazed at how you managed to get past it all. Since we loved it so much, we decided to make our own drafts on 3 different times you showed courage in your story. We are also making a dance based on it, and we want you to see it. It starts off slow and sad, representing how you feel with your family. Then it gets fast and sharp, representing how you felt walking in Shanghai, when people were just walking around minding their business. After every thing settles down, it becomes open, representing how you felt when you were finally free. We are also doing every thing in our power to get in contact with you, and to show you our dance based on your story. There are questions we want to ask you, and introduce ourselves to you. Also in dance class, not only are we doing a dance based on your story and courage, but the two songs we are going to dance to are the two songs we took the time to sit down and think to. Whatever came to our minds, we drew. Then we looked back at our drawings, and added to them. We even added words to them. You wont be surprised on what words we wrote down, but you will be surprised that every word we wrote down were all in your story. Every one went through a little bit of what you went through, and we know your pain. Its very heartbreaking, but your free now right? So you should come visit us one day if you can. You will really like it here, and we all want to meet you

Sincerely Lee-Ellis

Trinity Academy for the Performing Arts

4. Juan Ramirez says:

Dear Adeline,

I just wanted to tell you that I read your book and I love it. As I read it I kind of felt what you were going through and it did not feel good. You were unwanted as a little girl but when you believed in yourself and then it got better you went to study in England. A lot of people admire you because of what you have been through and because you kept on going. A lot of people feel what you been through because the way you express yourself in your book. Thank you for everything and for taking your time to read this letter. I have a question, though, can you tell me what it was like studying in England?

The book inspire my class to write an essay about it. We also made a dance about your book about what happen while you were a little girl. Thank you so much for having the courage to keep on going in your life and for writing this wonderful book.

Juan Ramirez

Trinity Academy For The Performing Arts

5. kychon smith says:

Dear Adeline,

When i read your book Chinese Cinderella it really made me think a lot about you. You are a gift to my heart and i will always keep your story in my head. I will always think about your bravery and courage that you showed me that i never could understand. And to make you understand my feelings about you my english teacher and this ensemble has made a dance all about you. We showed your bravery and courage ness and we showed your freedom. And in class we are writing papers about you. All i am trying to say isn i am inspired for what you have done in Chinese Cinderella you made me a better person. And i really want you to understand i will never forget you until the end and you are the Chinese Cinderella.

i have a question after you have been free have your family changed there feelings about you.

Sincerely kychon smith

Trinity Academy For the Performing arts.

6. Destiny Taylor says:

Dear Adeline,

I’m just writing this letter to tell you that I really enjoyed your book Chinese Ceinderella. I could understand your pain of being a young girl who felt unwanted. That is very hurtful how you had to go through your siblings accusing you of yor mothers death. I also think that you don’t deserve that because you didn’t harm your family at all.

Another thing is that as an unwanted girl only two people cared so much about you and I think we both knew who they were: Aunt Baba and Ye Ye of course. You also had to go through that loneliness.

Now I am so happy that everything turned out well at the end of your emotional story. Most of all, you became free at last. Even though your book is so emotional I felt like I was going to cry, I could also understand where your were coming from because if nobody cared about me, and called me bad luck, I would have felt unwanted too.

The one question that I want to ask you is if you can Skype with us because I’m pretty sure we all want to meet you.

Destiny

Trinity Academy for the Performing Arts

7. Yoselin Chajal says:

Dear Adeline,

My name is Yoselin.I am a 7th grader at the Trinity Academy For The Performing Arts.My English class has been reading Chinese Cinderella in the second quarter.Chinese Cinderella was a courages,dangerous story about you.When I read the first chapter I was stunned how your family treated you like that.But then I realized I had a lot in common with you.For example my dad’s side treats me and my brother and sister different.I am happy that when Niang was beating Little Sister in front of you said something.You confronted Niang and faced the punishments she gave you.Since my class loved your book so much my class made a dance representing the emotions you describe.Even though you had bad times in your family you kept moving forward you were finally free.But the purpose I am writing about this is that you went on to have a great life.That is what I loved about you.The only questions I do have is why did you wanted to go to the united states?was it to be away from something?.Thank you Adeline for reading this letter.

Yoselin Chajal

Trinity Academy For The Performing Arts

8. Taisha Pepin says:

Dear Adeline,

I read your book Chinese Cinderella in my english class. Through your book I have learned never to lose hope no matter how tough the situation might be. I loved your book so much it made me cry. It had parts that were both inspiring and emotional. Some words I felt best described what you were going through were courageous, brave, strong, hope, faith, dreamer, ignored, hopeless, and Chinese Cinderella. Based on your book a dance was created by my english teacher and the students at TAPA. The dance shows the situation you were going through. Both through the intense and tuneful dance moves we were able to show what you felt and went through. Do you still get in contact with your sibilings?

Taisha Pepin

Trinity Academy for the Performing Arts

9. Jazalin Gonzalez says:

Dear Adeline,

You are one of the bravest people I know. I was truly inspired by your story and all I could think of is courage. This is something we all have but are sometimes to afraid to show it. By reading your book I realized we all go through pain. It is normal and we should not hide it but share with others so they know we are never alone. Thank you so much for opening my eyes to a braver world and teaching me what doesn’t hurt us makes us stronger. If it’s okay I would like to know if you ever stood in contact with your family? I hope you will be able to Skype with us here at the Trinity Academy For The Performing Arts.

Jazalin Gonzalez

Trinity academy for the performing arts

10. Shaydee Saythideth says:

Dear Adeline,

My name is Shaydee, a student from the Trinity Academy for the Performing Arts in Providence, Rhode Island. I have just finished one of your books, Chinese Cinderella. One of my favorite books. I would like to compliment you on your bravery, and your confidence. My experience reading the book made me a little teary eyed because the way you described your life story was so touching. I have noticed that the things that you went through are not very rare. The dance that my school created for you was called “Dear Adeline”, it was dedicated to you. The dance has creative dance movements sometimes showing courage or confusion. In the process of making the dance we really thought through all the things you have experienced and put it on paper. We have sketched things and words that came up to our mind, then put it into movements. I wonder if you do ever miss your father, and if he were here, what would you say? I hope that you will be able to video chat with TAPA on skype one day.

Shaydee Saythideth

Trinity Academy For The Performing Arts

11. Orianda Rodriguez says:

Dear Adeline,

My name is Orianda we in Trinity Academy for the performing arts loved your book so much that it inspired every single one of us to come in as a group and choreograph a dance with our instructor, Ms.Patten. When our teacher first told us about the project we were so exited. Your book inspired me to have courage and keep going despite hardship. I think you should keep going with what you’re doing and helping kids. I was just wondering do you still see your brothers and sisters? We in tapa would love to chat with you.

Orianda Rodriguez

Trinity Academy

12. Noah Andrade says:

Dear Adeline,

I read your book Chinese Cinderella and it has inspired me. Before I read your book I used to think that I was unappreciated by my family. I felt like there was no one to talk to, or to relate with. As soon as I read your book Chinese Cinderella I fell in love with it. It also opened the door for me to show my parents this book. My parents were so astonished with this book they apologized to me about what they were doing. Your book has inspired me so much I started writing about my life. Everyday I wonder why kids are treated that way. The answer will always be nebulous to me. I hope those kids read your book, then they will have hope, because if you can change one life for the better, you can change many more. If I may, I would like to ask you a question. If you had a chance to change the way your life was, what would you change? Your venturesome behavior has inspired many. Hope you continue your life of success.

Sincerely

Noah Andrade

Student Leader

Trinity Academy for Performing Arts

13. ANA OKA says:

HELLO

MY NAME IS ANA , I LIVE IN BRAZIL . I AM ALREADY READ YOUR BOOK , IS FANTASTIC BUT SAD IN THE SAME TIME . IN MY PERSONAL OPINION EACH EVEYONE OF US SHOULD READ THIS KIND OF BOOK . WELL I JUST LOVE . SEE YOU

ANA OKA FROM BRAZIL

14. Preston says:

Dear Adeline,

Your book was in my one of the best books in the world. You never complained about your harsh living conditions. You area strong,kind person never forget that. How you overcame the pure torture of your family really spoke to me. If you could survive that you could survive anything. Your loving heart has inspired almost every soul in TAPA. I hope you have a joy filled life and I am truly sorry for your unpleasant childhood.

Preston

Trinity academy for the performing arts

15. Madeline Vidal says:

January 24, 2011

Dear Dr. Yen Mah,

My class and I just recently finished reading your memoir, Chinese Cinderella, and I loved every bit of it! I was so engaged with the story that I found it almost impossible to put it down at the end of each class. I would just like to say thank you for your memoir. The pain and frustration that you had to go through really spoke to me. Just by reading it I was given a new found hope that I will keep with me forever. This book taught me that anything is possible as long as you have faith, and after finishing your memoir that this is something that I truly believe. If you don’t mind me asking, I’d like to know that if you could go back to the past, is there anything that you would like to change? Once again I would just like to say thank you for your inspiring story and I greatly anticipate reading your other book, “Falling Leaves”.

Madeline Vidal

Trinity Academy for the Performing Arts

16. Dante garnes says:

Dear Adeline,

Your book emboldened me to write this letter to you about your prodigious book. Your book touched me me mentally and emotionally . When my teacher assigned this book to us I was verybengaged. I have to admit I’m not the #1fan of reading but your book had me hooked I think could even say I had a reader to writer (a life comparison ) . I can’t even postulate that your own family would put you through what they did. Please exuse me if I may sound out of tern but did you ever get go terms with your father and I soon one day would like to be an writer what are some tip or ( pointers)you might give out?

Adeline yen mah your liken by others as a cinderella but to me your a. SUPER WOMAN

Dante Garnes

Trinity Academy for the Performing Arts

17. Tatyana Cepeda says:

Dear Adeline,

I admire you in every way . you have followed your dreams and have become a writer despite anything else.Your a hero to me I personally want to ask how is life as a personal narrative writer. I would love to be a writer myself. You’ve shown me that even when things are hard sometimes you have to keep going. You have opened my eyes to the reality of another person. You’ve brought light to my life. The experience of reading Chinese Cinderella is a breathtaking experience. You’ve inspired me to become a writer and taught me in your own ways to put detail into every little simple thing. Thank you for your meaningful life lessons. P.S. You are an awesome writer and you’re also awesome at being you.

Sincerely: your inspired reader,

Tatyana Cepeda

Trinity Academy for the Performing Arts

18. Olivia doughty says:

Dear Adeline, my 7th grade class and I read your memoir Chinese cinderella. You have been an enspration to me because I can relate to you and how you feel and how you feel twords your family. You taught me something, even if life gets bad to stay strong be successfull and to not be a victim. Your true personal memoir you have shared with many people I know has helped others like me. Thank you. Sincereley,Olivia Doughty- Trinity Academy For The Performing Arts

19. Rashida Ramirez says:

Dear Dr. Yen Mah,

I am a student at Trinity Academy for the Performing Arts and for our second qorter my school read Chinse Cinderella. Through out the book I was hooked onto every word you wrote. I think you are an amazing talented writer. I enjoyed how you fought through your torment and stayed at the top of your class academically. Your book is very inspiring and hard to put down. For children like you I think this book would be very inspiring and good to know that they are not the only ones fighting through their torment. I loved your writing in Chinse Cinderella and hope that I can read your other book Falling Leaves. Through out the book I felt rage, happiness, and excitement to read the next chapter. When I first heard that we were going to read your book I did not know how to react but now reading the book my reaction is shocked and happiness. I have fallen in love with this book but I would like to know how wad it in the college in England for younand if you enjoyed your experiences at your college?

Rashida Ramirez

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!